News broke in this morning that former Bayelsa Queens and FCT Queens winger, Ifeanyi Chiejine, died after a brief illness.
The pacy forward made alot of impact as a player in the Nigeria Women Premier League, notably with Bayelsa Queens winning the league twice with the ‘Restoration Ladies’.
Ifeanyi Chiejine had a glittering football career be it for her club or country. Thenwfl.com bring you some little known facts about one of the most celebrated women footballer in Nigeria.
(1) She was born in Lagos (Surulere) on the 17th of May 1983.
(2) She started playing Football at the age of 10 on the street of Surulere.
(3) She attended Amuwo Odofin Grammar School, Mile 2, Lagos.
(4) She was popularly known as “Smally’ by her teammates because she was very young when she started playing topflight football.
(5) She started her career with Flying Babes FC under the tutelage of Raymond Abruku and Abel Okoro.
(6) She played for Flying Babes FC, Pelican Stars, FCT Queens, Confluence Queens and Bayelsa Queens.
(7) She won the Nigeria Women Premier League back to back with Bayelsa Queens (2006 & 2007).
(8) She was the youngest player at the 1999 FIFA Women’s World Cup in the United State of America.
(9) She played professional football in Nigeria, U.S.A, Finland, Russia and Kazakhstan.
(10) She represented Nigeria at three different FIFA Women’s World Cup 1999, 2003 and 2007 and at the Olympic games twice in 2000 and 2008.